Monday, May 18, 2009

Jason's Team Won the Go Kart Race

Team 1280 The Zone Champs

(Jason is the third one from the left)

Team 1280 Champs: L-R Zone Girl Tyna, John Lund, P1 Jason, P1 Derrek, Kelly Kaye, P1 Randall; In Kart Kevin Graham
The Ass-ociated Press
Tooele—In what is being called one of the biggest upsets in racing if not sports history, Team 1280 The Zone led by leader and race anchor Kevin Graham overcame adversity to rally to win the Miller Motorsports Park Media Endurance Go Kart Championship Saturday.
“It’s just what this country needs right now,” Graham said. “A team they can rally behind. A team in these tough trying times came together to show what can happen when you persevere, work hard and stay focused. The American Dream is still alive and well.”
The adversity began when John “I drive worse than a 88 year old woman” Lund drove the team from their 3rd qualifying position to dead last after several spin outs and just overall slow driving. “I did have some issues out there,” said Lund. “I guess I shouldn’t have gone out drinking the night before.”
P1’s Jason, Derrek and Randall each then drove methodically and strategically to get Team 1280 back into the race. By the time it got to Graham’s turn at the wheel, the team had gone from last, four laps down, to third just a lap off the pace. “I couldn’t have been more proud of the P1’s for putting us back in the race and cleaning up after John’s mess,” said Graham. “I guess that is no different in what they do for him every morning via text and calls.”
That’s when Graham took over. Showing a display of courage and determination that may never ever be seen in racing again, Graham quickly got the lap back and then proceeded to pass the field again to take the checkered flag but didn’t realize the flag was for him. “I was pulling up to the side of the X96 car when the beautiful Kelly Kaye waived the flag but I thought it was for them, not me,” said Graham. “Figures. We win the race and I didn’t even know it until I pulled into pit lane. Then we partied like it was 1999!” Team Comcast finished second 37.137 seconds off the pace. X96 was third a lap behind.
As for the future for Team 1280 The Zone, they will defend their title in two weeks without Graham who will be on his midlife crisis Harley trip but he feels confident the team will do well. “Our sales manager Kurt Thomas will take my spot and while he’s no Kevin Graham (HONK) we will be fine as long as we find someone to replace John.” Meanwhile after this stunning victory a book is in the works and Disney has contacted Graham about making this feel good story into a movie. “Just living the dream,” says Graham, “And making it rain!”
Jason is so proud of his trophy he won. I wish I could have went and watched him. I didn't have anyone to watch the kids.

2 comments:

The.Marcellus.Family said...

Haha
Love the post.
Makes me want to go on a go kart pretty bad tho.
Those girls in the picture...NICE! hahaha
short shorts

Love ya

The.Marcellus.Family said...

Ohh also, You can always call me if you need a babysitter:) That is like..one of the only things I am good at is babysitting..sadly haha.
Ask AnnMarie I am a good babysitter:)..or Jalyn, even tho I babysat for her ALONG time ago.